Thursday, May 22, 2014

More On Ants


Barney and Malcolm have gone, apparently. I'm sad about it but I know they have their own path, very literally. Still, I did find out more about ants and it's pretty wonderful.

It seems that B & M may have been part of a small colony that lives in natural cavities. I guess a little crack in the caulk of a bathtub can be considered natural. They evolved from waspy creatures a long long time ago (120-130 million years ago)  and now there are like 22,000 species. I'll never really know which ones chose to live with me for awhile but I feel blessed. 

Socially, we could learn a lot from them. Check this quote out from wikipedia,  "Ants have colonised almost every landmass on Earth. The only places lacking indigenous ants are Antarctica and a few remote or inhospitable islands. Ants thrive in most ecosystems and may form 15–25% of the terrestrial animal biomass.[6] Their success in so many environments has been attributed to their social organisation and their ability to modify habitats, tap resources, and defend themselves. Their long co-evolution with other species has led to mimeticcommensalparasitic, and mutualistic relationships". 

And if you click on those links it's even more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment