Thursday, October 9, 2014

Copper Days

Getting ready for an enameling class I'm taking day after tomorrow so I've spent the last couple of days in the studio making copper pieces to use. Challenging and seriously fun and exciting and satisfying. Now I'm really really excited for the class!!!

These pieces were made with Copprclay. Powdered copper in a binder that burns away at 1700°. First you have to sculpt the pieces. The clay is wet and dries pretty quickly but you just use little at a time. Then you have to let it all dry completely. After that they all get heated up to about 560° and then you take all the pieces and put them into activated charcoal made from coconuts. No. Really. (There would only be one firing if they were not going to be enameled) Now comes the big heat and then it gets held at 1700° for 3 hours.  Enough time to get my hair cut and go to the free night at the Asian Art Museum and see the exhibit of Japanese Art Deco. Fabulous. Interestingly there were very few ceramic pieces there. But I did get a picture (I know, illegal photography) of some enameled porcelain. Blew me away. I think I digress. Here are the copper pieces (somehow I forgot to photograph 2 of them that will be earrings) and after the class I'll put up a pic of how they got to be even more beautiful.







No comments:

Post a Comment