Thursday, April 10, 2014

Yum Experiment


ok. Spent the entire day in the studio and had sooooo much fun. On my way here stopped at the local stone and glass recycling place, Bedrock, and got some blown glass broken pieces. I think most of them were from ornaments and some from the beginnings of paper weights. Some were tumbled (they do it in a cement mixer) and some were their original shiny selves. So I put them in the kiln, not knowing at all, what the hell I was doing. I've done some shards before but for the most part these are much much thinner. So I've got the kiln set to the usual 1450° and by the time it reached 1250° they were all flat as a pancake. Panic ensued. As fast as my researcher brain could go I found a temperature and a time for annealing the pieces and crossed my fingers.

I'm pretty excited. This is, basically, how I started making fused glass. By the seat of my pants. With a little science and a lot of crazy Sacred Fool journeyism, and some wonderful magic. I used to call it "making samplers".

3 comments:

  1. How fun! They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna post a pic of when they came out of the kiln later! We have to go to Bedrock together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And really, can anyone tell me why the hell I can't respond to my own blogger posts unless I open them in Explorer? That's just wrong.

    ReplyDelete